Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Great Favorite Pie Survey

Me Knows Better Than to Say This… but I will. In honor of Thanksgiving, Jimmy thinks it is time to bring out an old Thanksgiving story about pies… no not the one where Jimmy still has an aversion to pumpkin pie stemming from a small case of the flu in 3rd grade… sorry… just in time to help the pumpkin pie sales there.

No this story starts about twelve years ago when my nephew was in the 2nd or 3rd grade himself and had a math homework assignment to survey the family about favorite pies. All the data would be tabulated and reported with all the other classmates the next Monday at school.

So my nephew goes to each family member and quizzes each asking them what their favorite pie was. He gets the standard, “pumpkin, apple, banana, chocolate (my personal favorite there)…” and runs back to his dad to add each to the tally.

Then it was my turn. But ‘ol Uncle Jimmy had to mess with him a bit.

“Uncle Jim, what is your favorite pie?”

“Well…” I said and then I looked off into the distance to feign some in depth consideration. “I would have to say that my favorite pie is… you know they’re all so good… but I would have to say my favorite is Cow.”

Then he runs back to his dad to tabulate the data point searching in vein for an unlisted choice on the sheet. He keeps looking and then asks his dad about the unfamiliar selection.

To which Jimmy hears a squeal and a laugh as the joke was finally explained to him, “Uncle Jim, you can’t like Cow Pie!!!”

Uncle Jimmy… just molding minds of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment