Sunday, March 14, 2010

Noodling in Science

Me Knows Better Than to Say This… but I will.  I always thought I was destined to be a science teacher, but then I analyzed the career move and thought better.  After hearing my daughter complain about science class, I went into a lecture about the virtues of science and I told her she was lucky I wasn’t her science teacher.  “Good warning dad,” she retorted.  Jimmy made the right career choice.

The conversation started when she was having a hard time eating supper.  We were in the midst of a delicious meal of Chinese lo mein noodles and she started to gag and refused to eat any more. 

“Hey, finish your meal,” I snorted between bites.  “There are starving kids in Indianapolis… or somewhere like that I have heard.”

“I can’t.  We just finished dissecting worms in science class and I can’t eat this stuff.”

I went into my tirade again about what a great science teacher I would’ve been in my day and continued, “Oh come on, it can’t be that bad.  You have to put that out of your mind if you want to be in science.  If I were teaching, I would've sent a note home to all my students yesterday urging that their parents have spaghetti or some stringy noodle for dinner after this biology class.  Then everyone could enjoy science even more.”

Yes… Jimmy would have been a great science teacher.

“Good warning dad.” 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment