Friday, March 26, 2010

Jimmy Needs Glasses

Me Knows Better Than to Say This… but I will.  Yup… it’s that time.  The ole eyesight is just not there anymore.  Of course it has been a gradual disintegration starting back a few years.

The first indication occurred while we were on vacation in Hawaii and my wife was looking for a particular store without really knowing the name (that’s how we shop)… so as a dutiful husband, I tried to help the situation by pronouncing the stores that appeared on my side of the road hoping the correct one would come along so we could get back to the fun stuff.  Off in the distance was a store I could barely make out… I started slowing reading it as it came into better focus, “Boogie…” the words faded and I then I saw more, “Boogie Boards…,” I added still unable to see it all.   I strained again, “Boogie Boards and… Miscellaneous.”  That was it… I could see the entire sign.

My wife questioned what she heard as it sounded a bit ridiculous to her, “What?” 

But the store name was well within the realm of possibilities since this was after all Hawaii

“Boogie Boards and Miscellaneous,” I repeated matter-of-factly and positive in the possibilities that we would not venture into that shopping establishment.

“Where do you see that store?” my wife questioned… disbelieving a fact uttered from my lips.

I pointed it out almost to the point of indignation, “That building over to the left that says Boogie Boards and Misc. in big red letters.  Can't you see it?”

Then my gracious wife mentioned, “You mean… Borders Books and Music?”

“Yeah – that’s what I said,” and I continued driving past the big sign written as an obvious optical illusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment